The Nib is the internet’s home for non-fiction comics. We publish:
- Original political satire
- Comics journalism
- Non-fiction comics on identity, history, politics and contemporary cultural issues
- Short illustrated takes on each day’s new political trash-fire.
In 2016, we teamed up with First Look Media and now reach a huge audience every month with our website and newsletter (and soon, print magazine).
We are always open to pitches from comics creators. All of our contributors are paid. Rates are based on the length of the comic, the level of research required, and the artists’ experience.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
· Personal comic essays on issues of cultural import.
· One-panel newsworthy statistics.
We overwhelmingly publish brand-new, original work. Please note if your comic has been previously published elsewhere when submitting it and be aware that pre-published work -- including on Instagram or Tumblr -- is of less interest to us.
You don’t need to complete a comic or script before sending in a pitch. We rarely accept completed artwork. In fact, we’re looking for pitches where we have a role in guiding it from concept to a completed comic. Pitches should include:
- A few sentences explaining your topic, including why it’s timely and relevant to a wide audience.
- A brief description of who you are and why you’re a good fit to create this comic.
- Links to any past comics work -- ideally work that is reflective of what you are pitching. Show us that you can do what you say you can in the pitch.
- Give us a sense of what you know about the topic and, if you will be reporting and interviewing, who you plan to speak to for the piece.
Keep in mind that all work published at The Nib needs to be beautiful on desktop, but also mobile-friendly—sometimes comics that look great in print wind up messy and illegible on tiny phone screens.
We try to go over new pitches every week, but sometimes things get busy at Nib HQ and we’re not as quick off the mark as we should be. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear back from us for a while -- hold tight. We will reply.
Email pitches to: firstname.lastname@example.org.